Thursday, May 14, 2015

14th May 2015 (戰友 – Wilfred Lau)

The song for today is “戰友” by Wilfred Lau. This song is a reader request. This song actually brings back some memories as it was one of the songs that I listen quite frequently when I was studying overseas. The direct English translation of the title is “Comrade”.

The lyrics of the song are about the protagonist really thanks his very friend who was able to be with him when he needed support. The protagonist said: “We had an appointment, but it got delayed by 4 years. I still haven’t asked you, over the years, did you become less straight forward? Now you and I are both busy, unlike back then. The time when we both hold a wooden guitar to work our hardest, waiting on the cold seat for opportunities. We had decided to not to think about the past, but why do I still remember the time, when that half smoked cigarette lay on the sofa. Now I finally managed to fulfil the promise that I made back then. Missed, but now caught up, please don’t be mad. Looking at you smiling, felt a bit of an irony. It is you, comrade, be there with me to the end, pushed through the hurdle. You waved your hand in the audience seat, so at least your tears aren’t wasted. But the funny thing is that me as the comrade, had won all the applause, but still guilty. Perhaps we couldn’t hold hands, but we could shake hands and wish that you would accept. Although we don’t love each other, but at least I achieved something, then it would be enough. Clearly we were the best match, but we could become a couple. But I can still call you best friend, perhaps it is my luck. Perhaps that we can fight together is our fate, so it is worth waiting. At the end, sadly, I missed the identity that I wanted the most. Perhaps friendship is more important than love. Simply said, comrade take care, and it is enough”. To a certain extent, I think this song is describing the relationship between Wilfred and Denise Ho, as once they were together (or as least being very very close friend). Anyway, hope you will enjoy the song.



戰友 – Wilfred Lau

1 comment: