Saturday, June 1, 2013

1st Jun 2013 (顧家 – I Love U Boyz)

The song that I chose for today is “顧家” by I Love U Boyz. I Love U Boyz make up of two radio host (Donald Tong and Jim Yan), they usually sing less serious and funny songs. Their name somewhat plays on the music group Boyz, which had two members. I remember when I first listen to them, they used to say their name as ‘I Love U’ Boyz (so make it sounds like a supporting slogan for Boyz). Although Boyz have long disappeared, but I Love U Boyz is still around. These days they referred to themselves by the shorten form “ILUB” or in Chinese “艾粒” (which pronounced as ‘I Love’). The direct English translation of the song title is “take care of the family”.

The lyrics of the song is about family relationship, it describe more or less a typical family in Hong Kong in the 70’s. It start off with a monologue saying “Son, how are you. In the last few decades I have been working on a ship away from home. I really wanted to be with you all the time, but…”. Then it say that the son open up an photo album and he remember his childhood time. He remembered about the drama that he used to watch. When his mum return home from work, they will just mixed some preserved soy bean cake with an egg as dinner (that’s what poorer people tends to eat back in those days). He said he was never worried about the difficult that he will face, and he work so hard. One day the economic started to fall, but he still remember how everyone used to love Hong Kong so much. Monologue again “I have bought you a yo-yo from America. Transformers, the cartoon that you used to love so much when you were a kid, is on air in the US. Ar, have the soccer match in Captain Tsubasa finished yet?” (Note ‘Captain Tsubasa’ was a very popular Japanese cartoon in Hong Kong.). Now the protagonist’s sister went overseas for further study. He remembers he went to the airport to say goodbye to his friends. Even when his wages have been reduced, but he was still happy. Now, no one can replace you as the person that I have dinner with. Monologue again “Son, I wanted to tell you that the moon cake tin under my bed contained a watch that I wanted to pass it on to you. Although the Rolex is fake, but I hope that you will put this watch on you wrist and remember to treasure time and treasure the people around you. Ar, how long have it been since we saw each other?”

I found the lyrics very touching. It was very typical for family back then to be separated. Very often, the male will work on ship (as Hong Kong is a main port) and they will be separated from their family for a long time in exchange for more cash to support their family. Hope you will like the song.


顧家 – I Love U Boyz

No comments:

Post a Comment